Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Time is Fast!

Time is fast.
Today is LAST day in Senegal. I really enjoyed this three weeks, especially the last three weeks. I might acclimate myself to the Senegalese life last one week.
After the Wolof language class, we could greet with people in Wolof. I knew that the communication by the language which used in the country is very important. When Senegalese knew that we are studying Wolof, they taught us some Wolof words. Language makes great communication. Also, I thought that if I could speak Wolof or French very well, the life in Senegal should be more fun.
However, if we cannot speak Wolof or French, people are still kind and friendly. I believe that their hospitality is really true. I had two host families in Linguere. Both host mothers speak Pulaar, not French and Wolof, although over 90 % of population in Senegal speak Wolof. However, they tried to talk to me in Pulaar, and stay with me during my home stay.
Beginning of the trip in Senegal, I doubted or thought strange their hospitality, because I read a book before the trip. The fact is that Senegal is a developing country and there are so many people who do not have enough food, job and so on. However, when we were lost to go to the beach in Yeumbeul, six or more children guided us, and we played at the beach. I believed that people in Senegal must be friendly to everyone. They might think that white people have money and give African people money or something. At first, I was confused whether they have real hospitality or just they hope they can get money from white people. However, now, I believe that Senegalese has real hospitality without thinking money because everyone who I met in Senegal is so kind. I want to bring back my home their hospitality spirits.
In Mbour, I went to another town, next to Mbour, Selly by walk. Selly is a resort area for foreigners. I saw many while people out there. Senegalese asked me something in French or Wolof to sell their products, but someone is not; someone introduced me the town, so I really enjoyed taking with them. They answered all my questions about Senegal, and we talked our own cultures, home countries and so on.
These memories is my treasure forever more than the products which I bought in Senegal. I will miss Senegal.
Maimi 

No comments:

Post a Comment