Thursday, May 26, 2011

Home Is Where The Heart Is...

Asalaam Malekum!

Nanga def? I, Maddie Paxton, am officially home. Today has been a hard day. It has been a day of reflection. It is so difficult to be back in the states. It is also very hard not to look around and compare everything to Senegal. As I am looking around, I can't help but think of our last night in Senegal with our reflection. Pastor Peter Hanson had a list of questions for us. There were four questions:

1: What was the best thing you experienced on this trip?
2: What was the worst thing that you experienced on this trip that ended up as a positive thing?
3: What is one thing that you will take back with you about Senegalese culture?
4: What is one thing that you have learned about your own culture because of this trip?

Every answer I had for those four questions related to my home stay in Linguere. Linguere was by far my favorite part of this trip. Yes, it did reach up to 47C (117F) but that did not seem to matter. I fell in love with the community; every part of it.

Our first day in Linguere (Sunday), we went to the parish. The parish was literally right next door to our guest house. The congregation was so welcoming and really patient with the fact that we did not speak the language. It was so much fun to sit back and watch them interact. Dirk and Peter walked up to each of us and pointed out each of our families. My family was Malik Sy and Iseta Ka. They had two daughters, one son, one niece that lived with them, and one on the way! The only interaction that we with them that I had before going to their house were a smile and a head nod. Shay was my partner staying with me.

Monday afternoon we were dropped off at our house. It was dark and I couldn't seem much. I did notice, however, two beds that were made outside. One bed was for Shay and I and the other for their family. I was so excited to sleep out under the stars.

Malik is the translator for the parish, so luckily, he knows some English. As we were eating dinner, Shay and I asked how to ask some questions to Iseta so we could communicate with her while he was away at work. The first question we asked was "Can I help you?" She smiled and nodded. She handed each of us a knife and some onions. I have gotten really, really good at cutting vegetables because of my home stay.

Tuesday was our first full day at our home stay. I woke up at 5:27 a.m. and couldn't fall back asleep. I was just so ready to start the day. After the kids went off to school and Malik went to work, it was just Iseta, Shay, Me, and Abraham, her 1 year old son. We swept and did dishes. Then Iseta asked me to go to the market with her and for Shay to stay with Abraham. I was so excited to get to go. We couldn't communicate but we got really good at signals and I picked up a few words from her. We made it through the market and got home to make lunch. We did more chores and cooked. After lunch it was time for Shay and I to leave for our activity with the group. When we got back that night we chopped more veggies and were off to bed. I was so surprised how exhausted I was after one day.

Wednesday, I asked if Shay and I could walk the girls to school. They said of course. As we walked to school each of the girls grabbed my hand and held it until we got to their classrooms. We played with the kids awhile and had a ton of fun with them. On our way back we stopped at our guesthouse so Shay could go see Dr. Soh. I was alone at the house today. I did chores and played with the kids. Then it was market time again! I helped buy stuff and picked out fish. Iseta laughed at me because I didn't really know what I was doing. She was very patient with me, however, and never made me feel bad. That night was so sad because it was our last night with them. Malik and Iseta gave me a name. Shay had been named that day at Dr. Soh's. I was given the name, Aminata Sy Ka. When I asked why they chose that name I was told that Aminata Ba is Iseta's best friend and it means "the one who has security." They told me that I always have a home in Senegal when I returned to their family.

That night I layed down with each of the girls in my arms one of my arms. They curled up to me and fell fast asleep. I cried as I held them, knowing that they wouldn't understand that we were leaving them and wouldn't know when they would see us again. My home stay was the first time that I truly felt that I was in Senegal. The Sy Kas are such an inspiration. They are happy with what they have. Iseta is 9 months pregnant in 117 degree heat, bending over and walking half way across town to the market. I learned so much from that I will never forget. That family and Linguere has a special place in my heart. They say that 'home is where the heart is', and I have left part of my heart in Senegal.









1 comment:

  1. Picture are taken is very interesting they show your culture and true life of a village .. i like to live in village when ever i got vacation ..

    pinless calling cards to senegal

    ReplyDelete